When Amy first suggested this challenge — probably back in January — I kind of freaked out. Every time I had tried dyeing, I wasn’t really satisified. I am a hyper-critical person, especially when it comes to a new skill. I hate not feeling confident.
But I agreed to the challenge and I am going to stick with it. And I’m not going to lie. I’m addicted!
Here’s my photo montage of my dyeing process:
Then I made this:
I guess I better explain what I did. I took some Mirasol Nuna from my stash — white. And I tossed it into a pot with vinegar and neon pink food colouring. I let it simmer on the stove until it was nice and steamy (DON’T BOIL IT). I then had a great melon-y pink colour. I let the yarn sit over night in the pot, then I rinsed it, hung it dry and waited.
I love the colour it turned out to be. I knew it would be a perfect fit with some grey Nuna I had stashing about. So I put them together to create the hat.
Here’s how I knit the hat. I used Lee Meredith’s Game Knitting Theory (which is the BEST e-book, I have ever purchased. Maybe even the best knitting book I’ve ever purchased. Buy it now… it is awesome!). I cast on 124 sts and worked in 1×1 corrigated ribbing for a few rows. I started my semi-annual Criminal Minds marathon, using the word “unsub” as my occurrence (this means, I changed from one colour to another when on of the characters used the word). It’s totally fun. Totally addictive. I think it took me about 5 episodes to finish the project.
HERE ARE THE POINTS!!!!
hat = 1pt
130-ish yards = 1.5pts.
stash = 1
over-dyeing = 1
colour work = 1
5.5 pts x 2 (for the challenge multipler) = 11 pts!
Also, check out these decreases — kinda proud:
Can’t wait to see what else might be created this month!